Skip to Content
University Catalog


College of Education




Minor In Education

The minor in Education consists of 12 or more units in upper division education courses approved by a departmental advisor. It may be particularly useful to students with undergraduate majors or who intend graduate study in a Human Resource Area, e.g., Communications Studies, Criminal Justice, Counseling, Family and Consumer Science, Nursing, Recreation Administration, Social Welfare, Speech Pathology and Audiology, and Vocational Education. Additional information about the Minor in Education appears within the catalog copy of the following departments: Bilingual/Multicultural Education, Special Education, Rehabilitation, School Psychology, and Deaf Studies, and Teacher Education.

Basic Teaching Credential

Education Specialist: Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) - Level I and II
Education Specialist: Mild/Moderate(M/M) Disabilities Specialist, including Internships (Level I)
Education Specialist: Moderate/Severe (M/S)--Levels I and II
Multiple Subject, ELA included, Department of Teacher Education
Multiple Subject, Bilingual/Crosscultural Language and Academic Development Emphasis (BCLAD)
Multiple Subject, ELA Enhanced included, Department of Bilingual/Multicultural Education
Multiple Subject and Education Specialist: Mild Moderate (M/M) and/or Moderate/Severe (M/S) - Level I (Level II for Education Specialist only)
Single Subject, ELA included, Department of Teacher Education
Single Subject, Bilingual/Crosscultural Language & Academic Development Emphasis (BCLAD)
Single Subject, ELA Enhanced included Department of Bilingual/Multicultural Education

Single Subject (Secondary) Waiver Programs

Family and Consumer Sciences
Science: Biology/Life Sciences
Science: Chemistry
Science: Geosciences
Science: Physics
Social Science

Note: Waiver programs leading to baccalaureate degrees may have different requirements from non-waiver degree programs.

Specialist Credentials

Adapted Physical Education
Reading/Language Arts

Note: Must hold a Basic Teaching Credential in some cases.

Services Credentials

Clinical Rehabilitative Services
Preliminary Administrative Services *
Preliminary Administrative Services Internship*
Professional Administrative Services **
Pupil Personnel Services School Counseling
Pupil Personnel Services School Counseling Internship
Pupil Personnel Services (School Psychologist Endorsement)
Pupil Personnel Services (Social Work)
School Nurse Services Credential

* Must either hold a Basic Teaching Credential, a Pupil
Personnel Services Credential, or Health Services.

** Must hold Preliminary Administrative Services Credential.

The Teacher Preparation and Credentials Office (TPAC) in the College of Education houses the Teacher Preparation Program Office and Credentials Office. The staff provides advising and services for gaining entrance to teacher preparation programs and meeting credential requirements. For further information about basic teaching credential programs contact the Teacher Preparation and Credentials Office, Eureka Hall 216, (916) 278-6403 or go to For Specialist and/or Services Credentials, contact the appropriate department office listed on the page numbers provided above.


Faculty will be drawn from the College of Education.

Contact Information

Vanessa Sheared, Dean
Eureka Hall 206A
(916) 278-5883

Kathy I. Norman, Associate Dean
Eureka Hall 206A
(916) 278-5088

La Tina Gago, Assistant to the Dean
Eureka Hall 206A
(916) 278-5883

Deidre B. Sessoms, Director
Teacher Preparation and Credentials Office
Eureka Hall 216
(916) 278-6403

Carol Lucido, Credential Analyst
Eureka Hall 209
(916) 278-4567