Skip to Content
University Catalog


Changes in Rules and Policies

Although every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information in this catalog, students and others who use this catalog should note that laws, rules, and policies change from time to time and that these changes may alter the information contained in this publication. Changes may come in the form of statutes enacted by the Legislature, rules, and policies adopted by the Board of Trustees of the California State University, by the Chancellor or designee of the California State University, or by the President or designee of the campus. It is not possible in a publication of this size to include all of the rules, policies, and other information that pertain to students, the institution, and the California State University. More current or complete information may be obtained from the appropriate department, school, or administrative office.

Nothing in this catalog shall be construed as, operate as, or has the effect of an abridgment or a limitation of any rights, powers, or privileges of the Board of Trustees of the California State University, the Chancellor of the California State University, or the President of the campus. The Trustees, the Chancellor, and the President are authorized by law to adopt, amend, or repeal rules and policies that apply to students. This catalog does not constitute a contract or the terms and conditions of a contract between the student and the Sacramento State or the California State University. The relationship of the student to the institution is one governed by statute, rules, and policy adopted by the Legislature, the Trustees, the Chancellor, the President, and their duly authorized designees.

Academic Honesty

Vice President for Student Affairs
(916) 278-6060

The principles of truth and honesty are recognized as fundamental to a community of scholars and teachers. California State University, Sacramento (hereafter referred to as Sacramento State) expects that both faculty and students will honor these principles, and in so doing, will protect the integrity of academic work and student grades. Sacramento State is a publicly-assisted institution legislatively empowered to certify competence and accomplishment in general and discrete categories of knowledge. The President and faculty of Sacramento State are therefore obligated not only to the world at large but also to California to guarantee that substantive knowledge is actually acquired and the ability to acquire it is actually demonstrated by those to whom they assign grades and whom they recommend for degrees. Academic dishonesty defrauds all those who depend upon the integrity of the University, its courses and its degrees. This fraud is accomplished to the extent that faculty, students or campus employees knowingly or unwittingly allow academic dishonesty to work its deception.

The Academic Honesty Policy and Procedures can be accessed in its entirety at

Grading System

Lower division courses (numbered 1-99), upper division courses (100-199), graduate level courses (200-299 and 500 and above) and some postbaccalaureate Education courses (300-499) are graded:


Grade Points

























Certain designated courses, e.g., co-curricular courses, fieldwork, field tours, workshops, theses, supervised teaching and similar courses are graded Credit (“CR”) or No Credit (“NC”). The Credit (“CR”) grade will equate to “A”, “B” or “C” level competence for undergraduate courses and “A” or “B” level competence for graduate courses. The University uses a plus/ minus grading system for letter grades. The grade of “C-” equates to a Credit for undergraduate courses and the “B-” equates to a Credit for graduate courses.

A student’s academic standing is determined by grade point average (GPA). Grade point average is computed by dividing quality points (the total number of grade points earned) by the number of quality hours (total attempted hours excluding courses graded “CR” or “NC”). A grade point average of 2.0 indicates a “C” average, a 3.0 indicates a “B” average, etc. The University does not award a grade of "A+".

Definition of Grade Symbols

A - Exemplary achievement of the course objectives. In addition to being clearly and significantly above the requirements, work exhibited is of an independent, creative, contributory nature.
B - Superior achievement of the course objectives. The performance is clearly and significantly above the satisfactory fulfillment of course requirements.
C - Satisfactory achievement of the course objectives. The student is now prepared for advanced work or study. Note: The letter grade “C” does not imply satisfactory achievement at the graduate level.
D - Unsatisfactory achievement of course objectives, yet achievement of a sufficient proportion of the objectives so that it is not necessary to repeat the course unless required to do so by the academic department.
F - Unsatisfactory achievement of course objectives to an extent that the student must repeat the course to receive credit.
WU - Withdrawal Unauthorized indicates that an enrolled student did not withdraw from the course and also failed to complete course requirements. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments or course activities, or both, were insufficient to make normal evaluation of academic performance possible. For purposes of grade point average, this symbol is equivalent to an “F”. (See Deletion Policy)
CR - Satisfactory achievement of course objectives. (Not used in Sacramento State grade point calculation.)
NC - Unsatisfactory achievement of course objectives. (Not used in Sacramento State grade point calculation, but is calculated as “F” by many graduate and professional schools.)
I - Incomplete Authorized. A portion of the requirements usually completed during one term remains to be completed and evaluated. (Not used in grade point calculation.) See Incomplete Grade policy, which follows.
RP - Report in progress. Work is in progress on thesis, project or similar course extending beyond one term. (Not used in grade point calculation.) See “RP” Grade Policy, which follows.
W - The symbol “W” indicates that the student was permitted to withdraw from the course after the fourth week of instruction with the approval of the instructor and appropriate campus officials. It carries no connotation of quality of student performance and is not used in grade point calculation.
RD - Report Delayed because a grade has not been reported to the registrar due to circumstances beyond control of student. (Not used in grade point calculation.)
AU - Audit symbol indicates student’s status as auditor and does not earn degree credit. (See Admission of Auditors.)

Audit Grade Symbol

Enrollment as an auditor is subject to permission of the instructor provided that enrollment in a course as an auditor shall be permitted only after students otherwise eligible to enroll on a credit basis have had an opportunity to do so. Auditors are subject to the same fee structure as credit students and regular class attendance is expected. Once enrolled as an auditor, a student may not change to credit status unless such a change is requested no later than the last day to add classes in that term. A student who is enrolled for credit may not change to audit after the fourth week of instruction.

An auditor is a student who enrolls in a course for informational purposes only. Regular attendance is customary and expected, but an auditor does not participate in the class, does not take examinations, and does not receive academic credit for the course. Auditors are not permitted to enroll in activity, curricular, or participatory courses.

Incomplete Grades

The symbol “I” (Incomplete Authorized) indicates that a portion of required coursework has not been completed and evaluated during the course due to unforeseen but fully justified reasons and that there is still a possibility of earning credit.* It is the responsibility of the student to bring pertinent information to the attention of the instructor and to determine from the instructor the remaining course requirements that must be satisfied to remove the Incomplete. A final grade is assigned when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated. An “I” (Incomplete Authorized) should not be assigned when it is necessary for the student to attend additional class meetings to complete the course requirements. An Incomplete must be made up within the time limit specified by the instructor when the completed "I" grade is assigned. The time limit may not extend beyond 12 months. If the instructor does not specify a time limit, then the student must meet the conditions specified by the instructor within 12 months from the day grades are due on the Academic Calendar (the last day of the term) the same term in which the "I" grade was assigned. This limitation prevails whether or not the student maintains continuous enrollment.

Failure to complete the assigned work will result in an Incomplete being converted to an “F” or “NC” on the academic transcript.

Graduating Seniors
If a graduating senior has an incomplete "I" grade in a course in which (1) the student has not completed the course requirements, and (2) the time limit has not yet expired on the student's graduation date, then the "I" grade remains on the official transcript as "I/Not Completed".

*Note: Students in the military reserve whose units go on active duty during or around the final examinations period are eligible to receive an “I” provided they meet the conditions above.

RP Grade Policy

The “RP” symbol is used in connection with courses that extend beyond one semester. It indicates that work is in progress, but assignment of a final grade must await completion of additional work. The “RP” symbol shall be replaced with the appropriate final grade within one year of its assignment (within two years for master’s culminating requirement). If no final grade is reported by the instructor within the time limit, the “RP” will be converted to “F” or “NC” on the academic transcript.

Credit/No Credit Grading Option

With the exception of certain designated courses, e.g., co-curricular courses, fieldwork, field tours, workshops, theses, supervised teaching, and similar courses, academic achievement is evaluated on a letter grade basis (“A”-“F”). Sacramento State students may choose to substitute Credit/No Credit (“CR”/ “NC”) grading for a maximum of 15 letter-graded Sacramento State credit hours/units subject to the following conditions:

Undergraduate Students

  1. No more than 15 units taken under the Sacramento State “CR”/“NC” option may apply toward a baccalaureate degree (this does not include credits obtained from challenge or Advanced Placement examinations).
  2. Any course which is graded “CR”/“NC” cannot be used to satisfy requirements in the major, the minor, or general education unless the course is identified in the catalog as graded “CR”/“NC”. This applies to all University graduation requirements.
  3. Students must submit the appropriate form requesting “CR”/“NC” grading to Admissions and Records before the census date of the semester.
  4. The instructor will assign a letter grade on the grade roll. If the grade earned by the student who elected the “CR”/ “NC” option is “C-” or higher, “CR” will be posted to the student’s transcript. If the assigned grade is lower than “C-”, “NC” will be posted.

Graduate Students

  1. Classified or conditionally classified graduate students, with the consent of their advisor and department, may elect “CR”/“NC” grading in courses normally letter graded. Units earned in this manner may not count toward graduate degree requirements.
  2. Unclassified graduate students and postbaccalaureate credential students also may elect “CR”/“NC” grading in courses normally letter graded. Units earned in this manner may not be used to meet course requirements for admission to classified status or be applied to meeting second bachelor’s, certificate or credential requirements (unless department policy specifies otherwise).
  3. Graduate students must submit the appropriate form requesting “CR”/“NC” grading, including approved signatures if required, to the Office of the University Registrar before the census date of the semester.
  4. The instructor will assign a letter grade on the grade roster. If the grade earned by the student who elected the “CR”/“NC” option is “B-” or higher, “CR” will be posted to the student’s transcript. If the assigned grade is lower than “B-”, it will be posted as “NC”.

Co-Curricular Courses

Co-curricular courses are designed to enhance student development, enrich the student’s educational experience and/or facilitate involvement in University life. Co-curricular courses are graded “CR”/“NC”. No more than 15 units of co-curricular coursework may be applied toward a baccalaureate degree.

Co-curricular courses include the following categories of courses (fieldwork and internships required in a major or minor program are not subsumed in this category):

  1. elective courses that provide students opportunities to practice in a field related to their major, e.g., cooperative education, field tours, workshops, tutoring, fieldwork and internships;
  2. courses that allow students to apply an individual talent or skill as a participant in intercollegiate competition or other extracurricular activities and events organized by the University;
  3. orientation courses, e.g., introduction to college studies, academic strategies and study skills, career orientation; and
  4. courses that promote student involvement in University governance and service, e.g., participation in student government, peer advising, residence hall advisor training.

Grade Corrections, Deletions, and Appeals

Grade Correction Policy

A grade correction is possible only in the case of a declared administrative error. A correction in letter grade must be approved by the instructor of record and the department chairperson by the last day of the semester, either spring or fall, after the grade is posted to the student’s record. The definition of administrative error is an error made by the instructor or assistant in grade determination or posting.

A grade Change may not be made as a result of work completed or presented following the close of a grade period, except for completion of work when an Incomplete grade was issued. Grades cannot be changed to “W” nor can they be changed from a letter grade to Credit/No Credit.

A grade correction after the semester following grade award will be allowed only if the course instructor and chair of the department where the course was offered submit the grade change and an explanation for the late grade correction to the Registrar. In the case where the course instructor and/or department chair is unavailable, the department faculty or a committee of department faculty must approve the grade correction. In such a case, a statement of the nature of the exception, the department’s method of approval, and the date of approval, must be forwarded with the grade correction.

Deletion Policy

A petition to delete grades may be submitted for consideration by the Academic Standards Committee for the following reasons only:

  1. to remove penalty grades assigned due to failure to complete a course for causes related to illness. Medical verification is required;
  2. to correct errors by academic departments. Department verification is required;
  3. to correct errors made in registration (e.g., use of wrong class code). The registrar’s office must confirm this error.

Petitions to delete grades must be submitted within one academic year from the end of the semester in which the grade was received. After a degree has been awarded, no petitions will be considered to delete grades posted prior to that award.

Grade Appeal Procedures

The campus has a single grade appeal procedure available to students in all academic disciplines. Copies of the procedure are available in each academic department office, in the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. Information in its entirety about the grade appeal process can be accessed on the Sacramento State Web site at

Unauthorized Withdrawal Policy - WU (Withdrawal Unauthorized)

The University requires that students process an official drop or withdrawal online or by petition within published deadlines. Failure to withdraw properly from a course may result in assignment of a “WU”, "F", or "NC" grade in the course.

The “WU” may be assigned in the case where the student has not completed sufficient course assignments or participated in sufficient course activity to make it possible, in the opinion of the instructor, to report satisfactory or unsatisfactory completion of the class by use of a letter grade (A - F).

For purposes of grade point average, a "WU" grade is equivalent to an "F". However, in courses which are graded Credit/No Credit, the use of the "NC" grade should be assigned and not the "WU" grade.

Petition to Discount First WU Grade. In the first term that a student receives one or more "WU" grades, the student may petition to have the "WU" grades dropped from their GPA calculation. To do so the student must obtain a "Petition to Discount First WU Grade" from the University Registrar's Office or the Academic Advising Center.

The student may submit a petition at any time prior to conferral of degree. While the petition will result in the "WU" grades being excluded from the GPA calculation, the "WU" grade remains on the student's transcript. The "Petition to Discount First WU Grade" only applies to the first term in which the student receives one or more "WU" grades. This "Discount" policy does not apply to "WU" grades earned in subsequent terms or "WU" grades received at institutions other than Sacramento State.

A student re-enrolling in a course in which the student previously received a discounted first WU grade, will not be considered to be officially repeating the course. These units will not be considered "repeat units" as specified in the University's Repeat Policy.

Student Complaint Hearing Policy

Vice President for Student Affairs
(916) 278-6060

The Student Complaint Hearing Policy addresses grievances that result from alleged inequitable treatment by a University employee, enforcement of an unfair policy, or failure to adhere to a University policy that does not fall into the categories of grades, student discipline, or harassment/discrimination issues. This policy reflects the University’s desire to resolve disputes within each program center at an informal level. If such a resolution is not possible, this complaint procedure provides a fair and collegial hearing process.

For a copy of the policy, contact the offices of the Vice President for Student Affairs, any Program Center administrators or refer to the governing shelf at the University Library.

Student Complaint Procedure

The California State University takes very seriously complaints and concerns regarding the institution. If you have a complaint regarding the CSU, you may present your complain as follows:

(1) If your complaint concerns CSU's compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards, you may present your complaint to the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) at WASC is the agency that accredits the CSU's academic program.

(2) If your complaint concerns an alleged violation by CSU of state law, including laws prohibiting fraud and false advertising, you may present your claim to the campus president at designee at The president or designee will provide guidance on the appropriate campus process for addressing your particular issue.

If you believe that your complaint warrants further attention after you have exhausted all the steps outlined by the president or designee, or by WASC, you may file an appeal with the Associate Vice Chancellor, Academic Affairs at the Chancellor's Office. This procedure should not be construed to limit any right that you may have to take civil or criminal legal action to resolve your complaint.

Repeating Courses

1. Undergraduate students may repeat courses only if they earned grades lower than a C (C-, D+, D ,D-, F, WU, NC).

2. Course repeats with "Grade Forgiveness" (Grade Forgiveness is the circumstances in which the new grade replaces the former grade in terms of the calculation of GPA, etc.):

    2.a. Undergraduate students may repeat up to 16 semester-units with grade forgiveness.*

    2.b. Undergraduate students may repeat an individual course for grade forgiveness no more than one time. A course may be repeated no more than two times without petition.

    2.c. Grade forgiveness shall not be applicable to course for which the original grade was the result of a finding of academic dishonesty.

3. Course Repeats with "Grades Averaged":

    Undergraduate students may repeat an additional 12 semester-units, i.e., units in addition to the 16 semester-units for which grade "replacement" is permitted. In such instances the repeat grades shall not re-place the original grade; instead all grades ( except any forgiveness grades) shall be calculated into the student's overall grade-point average.*

4. Departments and Colleges may not have a repeat policy that differs from the campus policy. (Note: restrictions on repeats for enrolled and declared majors, pre-majors, minors, and certificate students within specific programs, represent substantive program changes and not exceptions to the repeat policy.)

5. The limits apply only to units completed at the campus (i.e., While courses taken elsewhere may be repeated here or used to replace grades previously earned here (if the original grade was below a C), only the courses taken here will be counted towards the repeat caps).

* The default sequence for applying forgiven and averaged grades is to forgive grades for repeated courses that are eligible (that have not already been repeated once) until the forgiveness cap has been reached, whereupon they will be averaged until the repeat cap is reached. Grades for a course that has already been forgiven once will be averaged. Any residual units from the forgiveness cap that are not used for forgiveness may be used for averaging, within the 28 unit total repeat cap.

Academic Renewal

When all the policy conditions are met, Sacramento State may disregard previous unsatisfactory academic coursework, taken at any college, from all considerations associated with requirements for the baccalaureate degree. The request is limited to two semesters or three quarters of coursework. The policy action removes the earned hours, quality hours, and quality points (grade points) for the entire semester(s) or quarter(s) under consideration. The Academic Renewal policy does not allow for partial deletion of coursework within any semester or quarter. (See Grade Deletion Policy.) Sacramento State does not consider requests to delete any course completed and applied toward a baccalaureate degree after the degree has been awarded.

Requirements and Procedure

  1. Using the Academic Renewal Petition, the student must present evidence that:
    a. the level of performance was due to extenuating circumstances;
    b. one or more additional terms of enrollment would be required to complete baccalaureate requirements if the request was not approved, i.e., all degree requirements would be met except the required minimum Sacramento State and overall GPA (2.000);
    c. five years have elapsed since the most recent coursework to be disregarded was completed (e.g., Fall 2001 semester will be considered after the Fall 2006 semester);
    d. the student has completed additional academic coursework at Sacramento State subsequent to the work to be disregarded;
    e. the additional academic coursework completed conforms with the following sliding scale: 15 semester units with at least a 3.0 GPA, 30 semester units with at least a 2.500 GPA, or 45 semester units with at least a 2.000 GPA (work completed at another college/university cannot be used to satisfy this requirement); and
    f. the petitioner is currently attending Sacramento State, has filed to graduate from Sacramento State and has met with a degree evaluator from the Evaluations Office to determine if additional coursework is needed.
  2. If another accredited college has acted to remove previous work from degree consideration, such action will be honored in terms of its policy. However, elimination of any work in a term by any other institution will reduce by one term the two-semester maximum that may be disregarded by Sacramento State.
  3. When such action is taken, the student’s permanent academic record will be annotated so that it is readily evident that no work taken during the disregarded term(s), even if satisfactory, may apply toward baccalaureate requirements. However, all work must remain legible on the record ensuring a true and complete academic history.
  4. Final determination that one or more terms will be disregarded will be based on careful review of evidence by a committee, which will include the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the College Dean of the major, the Associate Registrar for Graduation and Evaluation, and the Vice President for Student Affairs.

Scholastic Standards

The University recognizes superior academic achievement at the time of admission, at the end of each semester and at the time of graduation. In addition, academic standards have been set for continuation of enrollment privileges based on minimum achievement required for completion of degree requirements.

Recognition of Academic Achievement

Honors List

Semester honors are awarded and the notation “Dean’s Honor List” is posted to the permanent academic record for freshmen earning a 3.000 grade point average and other undergraduates earning a 3.250 grade point average. To be eligible in either category, students must complete a minimum of 12 letter-graded units with no Incomplete grades and no grade lower than “C-”.

Graduation with Honors

Honors at Graduation are awarded to Sacramento State bachelor’s degree graduates who complete a minimum of 30 graded units in residence with a qualifying grade point average.

Honors are awarded based on the following grade point average ranges:

Cum Laude: 3.50-3.749
Magna Cum Laude: 3.75-3.899
Summa Cum Laude: 3.90-4.000

For posting of honors on the transcript, the GPA calculation will include all Sacramento State coursework, including the final semester. Second bachelor’s degree graduates are not eligible for Honors at Graduation.

Academic Honors Societies


  • Golden Key
  • Phi Beta Delta
  • Phi Kappa Phi
  • Sigma Xi

Arts and Letters

  • Delta Phi Alpha (Foreign Languages – German)
  • Lambda Pi Eta (Communication Studies)
  • Phi Alpha Theta (History)
  • Pi Kappa Lambda (Music)
  • Sigma Delta Pi (Foreign Languages – Spanish)
  • Sigma Tau Delta (English)

Business Administration

  • Beta Alpha Psi (Accountancy)
  • Beta Gamma Sigma (Business – General)


  • Chi Sigma Iota (Counselor Education)
  • Phi Delta Kappa (Education – General)

Engineering and Computer Science

  • American Society of Civil Engineers (Civil Engineers)
  • American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Mechanical Engineers)
  • Association for Computing Machinery
  • Chicano Latino Association of Computer Scientists and Engineers
  • Competitive Robotics
  • Construction Management Student Association (Construction Management)
  • ECS Joint Council of Student Organizations
  • Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
  • National Society of Black Engineers
  • Society of Automotive Engineers
  • Society of Women Engineers
  • Tau Beta Pi (Engineers – General)
  • Upsilon Pi Epsilon (Computer Science)

Health & Human Services

  • Alpha Phi Sigma (Criminal Justice)
  • Sigma Theta Tau (Nursing)
  • Phi Alpha (Social Work)

Natural Sciences & Mathematics

  • Biological Sciences Honors Programs (Biological Sciences)
  • Pi Mu Epsilon (Mathematics)
  • Sigma Pi Sigma (Physics)

Social Sciences and Interdisciplinary Studies

  • Alpha Kappa Delta (Sociology)
  • Lambda Alpha (Anthropology)
  • Omicron Delta Epsilon (Economics)
  • Pi Sigma Alpha (Government)
  • Psi Chi (Psychology)

Scholastic Standards for Continuation of Enrollment

Undergraduate Students

The grade point average in all courses attempted at Sacramento State plus the overall GPA in courses attempted at all accredited colleges are used in determining whether a student is demonstrating satisfactory progress toward degree completion. Students must maintain a 2.000 (“C”) average each semester, at Sacramento State, and overall. Failure to do so will subject the student to the loss of enrollment privileges as indicated in the following rules.

To be eligible for a bachelor’s degree, a student must earn a grade point average of 2.000 in the overall college record, in the cumulative Sacramento State record, in all upper division courses used to complete the major, in all courses used to complete the minor, and in all courses used to complete General Education.

Graduate Students*

*See Graduate Degree Requirements/Scholarship.

Undergraduate Academic Action Categories

Good Standing

Undergraduate students whose Sacramento State and cumulative grade point average (GPA) is 2.0 or above are considered in good academic standing.

Academic Probation

Students whose cumulative Sacramento State grade point average or overall grade point average falls below 2.000 will be placed on academic probation. Students on probation are eligible to enroll in the subsequent semester.

Continued Probation

Students on probation will be placed on Continued Probation if they:

  • earn a 2.000 in the current semester, but have a Sacramento State GPA or overall GPA below 2.000.

Students placed on Continued Probation will be limited to a maximum course load of 14 units per semester until they return to academic good standing.

Academic Disqualification

If a student is on academic probation and the Sacramento State or cumulative grade point average is below the following levels, the student will be academically disqualified if their Sacramento State or cumulative GPA is below a:

  • Freshman (30 units) will be academically disqualified if
    their Sacramento State GPA is below a 1.50;
  • Sophomores (30-59.9 units) will be academically disqualified
    if their Sacramento State GPA is below 1.70;
  • Juniors (60-89.9 units) will be academically disqualified if
    their Sacramento State GPA is below a 1.85;
  • Seniors (90 or more units) will be academically disqualified
    if their Sacramento State GPA is below a 1.95.

Students not on probation will be disqualified if the cumulative GPA is 1.00 or less. Disqualified students will not be allowed to register unless they are formally reinstated and/or readmitted to the University.

Academic Dismissal

A student reinstated after disqualification who earns a semester GPA below 2.000 or fails to meet other requirements specified in the reinstatement contract will be dismissed. Academic Dismissal means that enrollment privileges have been withdrawn. Dismissed students are not eligible to use the immediate reinstatement procedure. Academically dismissed students are not eligible for readmission without at least one semester of absence from Sacramento State. Students who have been dismissed twice must sit out two years before petitioning to return.

Administrative Probation and Administrative Disqualification

Undergraduate students are subject to Administrative Probation for the following reasons:

  1. Withdrawal from all or a substantial portion of their courses in two successive terms or in any three terms.
  2. Repeated failure to progress toward a degree or other program objective, when such failure is due to circumstances within the control of the student.
  3. Failure to comply, after due notice, with an academic requirement or regulation.

Students who do not meet the conditions for removal of administrative probation may be subject to further administrative actions, including Administrative Disqualification.


Office of the University Registrar
Student Services Counter
Lassen Hall Lobby
(916) 278-7111

Students will be notified of their academic status (academic probation, continued probation, academic disqualification or academic dismissal) by letter, and/or My Sacramento State message and/or email at the end of each semester. Students on Probation or Continued Probation are required to meet with an advisor in their major department. Departments may block registration of students who fail to meet advising appointments. Students receiving veterans’ educational benefits may be ruled ineligible for continued benefits if, after one semester of unsatisfactory achievement (probation or disqualification), they do not return to academic Good Standing at the completion of the next semester.

Reinstatement of Disqualified Students

Students who have been academically disqualified may petition for reinstatement. The Petition for Reinstatement may be obtained from the Academic Advising and Career Center Office. Reinstatement petitions are reviewed by a committee of faculty and professional advisors in the Academic Advising and Career Center, who make recommendations for a student's future academic standing. If reinstated, students will be placed on an academic contract that may stipulate maximum units, specific courses, and achievement levels. Failure to meet the conditions of the reinstatement contract and/or failure to achieve a subsequent semester GPA of 2.000 or higher will result in academic dismissal.

Students not recommended by their academic department for continuation in the first choice major may be considered for University reinstatement into a different major when approved by the department offering that major. Students reinstated as undeclared will not be allowed to enroll in upper division major courses during the period of the contract without the permission of the department chair or designee for that major.

Deadlines to petition for immediate reinstatement are as follows:

Spring Semester: Third week of January
Fall Semester: End of June

NOTE: Deadlines are strictly enforced.

Students whose petitions are approved are subject to review each semester until the Sacramento State GPA and overall cumulative GPA reach the minimum standard of 2.00 for academic Good Standing.

Readmission of Academically Dismissed Students

Students who are academically dismissed will not be considered for continued enrollment at the University for at least one semester following dismissal. Academically dismissed students need to meet with an academic advisor for advice on developing a plan to remedy the conditions that led to dismissal.

After the mandatory interruption in enrollment, students who were academically dismissed must submit a “Petition for Readmission Following Dismissal” which is available in the Academic Advising and Career Center. Deadlines to petition for readmission need to be verified with the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall. The appeal must include a recommendation from the student’s major department. A student whose appeal is granted is subject to academic review each semester until the Sacramento State GPA and overall grade point average reach the minimum standard of 2.00 for academic Good Standing. Readmitted students who fail to meet conditions specified for readmission will be academically dismissed. A second dismissal will result in a mandatory interruption of at least two years.

Deadlines for submittal of the petition are available from the Academic Advising and Career Center.

NOTE: Deadlines are strictly enforced.

Reinstatement Procedure for College of Business Administration Undergraduate Students

Business students who have been disqualified or dismissed from the University for academic reasons are no longer considered business administration students. This means that disqualified or dismissed students will not be allowed to enroll in 100-level business courses until they have been reinstated into the business major.

Undergraduate students who did not enroll in the University the semester(s) immediately following their disqualification must obtain a Petition for Reinstatement or Petition for Readmission Following Dismissal from the Academic Advising and Career Center or the Student Services Counter, Lassen Hall. If enrolled in the University for non-business classes the semester(s) immediately following disqualification, the student must obtain a Change of Major - Reinstatement Petition from the Undergraduate Business Advising Center (UBAC), indicating the request for reinstatement into the major. All petitions, along with supporting documentation of explanation and a complete set of transcripts of all college-level courses taken, must be submitted to the UBAC, Tahoe Hall 1030, no later than the first Friday of any given month. Petitions are evaluated each month and recommendations are made for the subsequent semester.

All students must check with the Academic Advising and Career Center to assure they comply with the University’s reinstatement policy and procedures.

Transcripts of Grades

Office of the University Registrar
Student Services Counter
Lassen Hall Lobby
(916) 278-5507

Sacramento State issues official transcripts only. There is a charge of $8 per transcript. Transcripts may be ordered in person, by mail (student's signature required), or online (for an additional fee). Orders are not accepted by telephone, fax, or email. When ordering transcripts in person, please be sure to bring a government issued photo ID. Transcript requests will be returned if you owe any financial or administrative obligation to the University. Please refer to the Office of the University Registrar's Web site at:

Information to Include with a Request:

Full name and any other names you may have attended under; student identification number, if known; complete social security number; date of birth; dates of attendance/graduation from Sacramento State. Please print legibly the address(es) where you would like the transcript(s) mailed. Provide any special instructions such as "Hold for current semester grades' or "Hold for the degree posting" or "Hold for grade change". If someone other than yourself will be picking up the transcript, you need to provide a signed release authorizing the third party to pick up your transcript. And, your signature is required on each transcript request.

To avoid delays in processing, include your full name, student identification number, date of birth, and previously used names. Submit the correct fee payment with written requests and specify any special handling instructions.* Currently enrolled students may obtain unofficial transcripts from My Sacramento State. For current information on how to order transcripts and fees, please refer to the Office of the University Registrar's Web site.

*See Fees and Refunds/Fees and Debts Owed to the Institution.

Schedule of Final Examinations

Final examinations, including major section exams offered in lieu of a final exam, may not be scheduled during the last week of classes. However, quizzes, lab exams, and other academic assignments may be scheduled for the last week of classes provided they are specified on the course syllabus. No unscheduled (i.e., not included in the course syllabus) or additional requirements may be imposed on students during the last week of classes. Any exceptions that necessitate giving a final prior to final exam week must be stated on the course syllabus and require prior approval of the Dean.

Credit Hour

As of July 1, 2011 federal law (Title 34, Code of Federal Regulations, sections 600.2 and 600.4) requires all accredited institutions to comply with the federal definition of the credit hour. For all CSU degree programs and courses bearing academic credit, the "credit hour" is defined as "the amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten or twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or

2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours."

A credit hour is assumed to be a 50-minute period. In courses in which "set time" does not apply, a credit hour may be measured by an equivalent amount of work, as demonstrated by student achievement.

Credit by Examination

Students may challenge courses by taking examinations developed at Sacramento State. Credit shall be awarded to those who pass them successfully.

Systemwide Credit by Examination

Sacramento State grants credit to those students who pass examinations that have been approved for credit systemwide. These include the Advanced Placement Examination, the CSU English Equivalency Examination, and some CLEP examinations. The following examinations (chart below) are accepted for the amount of credit indicated, subject to the achievement scores noted.


Passing Score


CLEP Calculus with Elementary Functions


3 semester hours

CLEP General Chemistry


3 semester hours

CEEB Advanced Placement Program Examinations

 3, 4, 5

Up to 6 semester hours (As recommended by the College Board)

American Chemical Society Cooperative Examination

 50th percentile
or above

3 semester hours

CSU English Equivalency Examination

 Established annually
by faculty scoring the

6 semester hours

Amount and Use of Examination Credit for General Education

Students who present scores of three or better on the Advanced Placement Examinations may earn up to 6 units of college credit and meet applicable General Education Area Requirements. Advanced Placement credit is excluded from the credit by examination limit of 30 units.

Students passing the English Equivalency Examination administered after 1972-73 may earn up to 6 units of credit to be applied in general education in lieu of English 1A, 1B.

Students taking the CLEP Subject Examination, General Chemistry and who earn a score of 48 or above, earn 3 units of Natural Science credit.

Campus Credit by Examination

Students may challenge courses by taking examinations developed at the campus. Results of the examination (“CR” or “NC”) will be noted on the student’s transcript. Only courses listed in this catalog may be challenged. Departments may exclude performance or other courses from challenge. Campus challenge procedure is open only to matriculated students enrolled during summer, fall, and spring semesters. A course may be challenged only once.

Individual departments may require students to enroll in courses they wish to challenge. The deadline for returning forms showing challenge results to the Office of the University Registrar, Student Services Counter, Lassen Hall.

Other Conditions Governing Award of Credit by Examination

  1. A student may not challenge a course if the course (or its equivalent) appears on the student’s transcript with any grade other than “W”.
  2. Credit will not be awarded for successful passage of any systemwide examination if the student has taken that examination previously within the past term. Campus examinations may only be attempted one time.
  3. Credit will not be awarded when equivalent degree credit has been granted for regular coursework, credit by evaluation or other instructional process, such as correspondence, at any institution.
  4. Credit will not be awarded when credit has been granted at a level more advanced than that represented by the examination in question.
  5. Where there is partial overlap with prior credit granted, the amount of examination credit will be reduced accordingly.
  6. The total amount of credit earned on the basis of externally or internally developed tests that may be applied to a baccalaureate degree will not exceed 30 semester units. Advanced Placement credit is excluded from the limit. Total examination credit earned toward a master’s or doctoral degree may not exceed 6 units.
  7. Credit earned by examination will be so identified on the student’s permanent record. The name of the examination is included for systemwide examinations; the course number and title will be shown for campus examinations. An unsuccessful challenge will result in a grade of “NC”, also noted as “by examination”.
  8. Neither systemwide nor campus examination nor advanced placement examination credits count toward the degree residence requirement.
  9. Additional conditions affecting campus examinations only:
    a. Individual departments may require a specific grade point average for credit.
    b. Departments or divisions may have established limits on the number of credits within the area. A maximum of 12 units in any one foreign language may be earned by exam; the total of foreign language units earned by examination may not exceed 16.
    c. Credit awarded for campus examinations is for elective purposes unless approved by appropriate department chairs for use in meeting major or minor requirements. Credit by examination may not be used for General Education requirements except as noted.

International Baccalaureate Examination

Sacramento State Equivalencies for International Baccalaureate (IB Exams)

Sacramento State will accept credit for admissions and advanced standing credit for students completing the International Baccalaureate (IB), a college preparatory program. Advanced standing credit may be earned for scores of 4, 5, 6 or 7 for the “Higher Level” examination. Students will be obliged to submit a copy of their official lB transcript. See table for Sacramento State Equivalencies.


Sacramento State Course (Units)


BIO 10 (3)


GE Area B1 + GE Area B3-lab (4)
and GE Area B5 (4)


ECON 1A (3) and ECON 1B (3)

History: Americas

HIST 17B (3) and HIST 51 (3)

Language A1—English

ENGL 1A (3)

Language B— French

Score of 4 = FREN 2A (4) + Foreign Language Requirement
Score of 5 or higher = FREN 2B (4) + Foreign Language

Language B—English


Language B—Spanish

Score of 4 = SPAN 2A (4) + Foreign Language Requirement
Score of 5 = SPAN 2B (4) + Foreign Language Requirement
Score of 6 or 7 = SPAN 42 (3) and SPAN 47 (3) + Foreign Language Requirement


MATH 24 (3) and STAT 1 (3)


PSYC 2 (3)

Waiver of Regulations

Rules and regulations in this catalog have been adopted by the faculty and administration to maintain appropriate academic standards and to facilitate the administration of the programs of the University. A student who finds that extenuating circumstances might justify the waiver of a particular regulation may file a petition with the Office of the University Registrar, Student Services Counter, Lassen Hall.